Friday 1 March 2013

Five Minute Fridays: Ordinary

I never wanted to be ordinary when I was a teenager-I went out of my way to buy things that were unique, were different, I never wanted to be one of the crowd. I’d loudly and obnoxiously proclaim my dislike of anything that everyone else was buying just because everyone else was buying it, and I’d get mad at my friends if they copied me because it meant I couldn't wear that thing any more. Yeah, I was a bit of an arse.
I've never owned Converse shoes because when I was about 15 everyone had Converse. I stubbornly resisted even when they brought out nice ones, and when I was 17 I bought my first pair of Doc Martens in luminous neon green because no-one else had them-ironically I got into Doc Martens before all the hipsters thought they were cool.
Seriously, it's awesome.
This photo is so me-I love it!
Taken by Michael Lau
And now? Now I am more content to be ordinary, as ordinary as any one person can be at least. Sometimes I'm happier blending into the crowd than standing out against it vibrantly and obviously. And sometimes I wear amazing things that I know are going to make everyone who I pass notice me, because I want to be different that day, I want to be extra-ordinary. I've learned to relax a little, I share the same clothes as some of my friends and we make jokes about not wearing them on the same day as each other. I don’t get cross with people any more if they tell me they really want to own something I have because I take it as a complement-it means they think I'm cool, I'm trendy, | or at the very least awesome enough to emulate. And yeah, I know I have my own kinda ‘look’ sometimes, and I love it-wearing a mini skirt with a big pair of clumpy Docs will never not make me feel amazing. At the start of each day I can choose to be as ordinary or as un-ordinary as I like, and that, as far as I am concerned is an excellent thing.

The site link to this blog is www.ordinaryextraordinarylife.com and that is because it expresses my opinions exactly-everyone is an entirely ordinary human being, same as all the rest but everyone is also entirely extraordinary too and we’re all different in a million trillion brilliant ways. It’s pretty awesome.



NB:  |  denotes where my 5 minute alarm went off.


If you want to know what Five Minute Fridays are all about/take part yourself/read posts from other bloggers, more information can be found here: http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/

My posts are all here: Five Minute Fridays

3 comments:

  1. I love it! My hubby is a high school teacher and he's always saying, "Normal is just copying everyone else."

    Love how original you like to be. Glad you're okay with ordinary now too. It's good to like who God made us to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. True freedom is not having to be a copy or an original, but just being you. Sounds like you found that :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!