Friday 17 May 2013

Five Minute Friday-Song


At the moment I keep getting stuck on a single song that I feel the need to play over and over again. The other day it was 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' by Bonnie Tyler-I just kept playing it on repeat and singing along ALL DAY. Then came the turn of 'Let’s Fall In Love' by Ella Fitzgerald-again it got put on repeat and I couldn't stop singing it. More recently when I was feeling miserable it was Poison's 'Every Rose Has Its Thorn'* because it has words that I can relate to almost too well. I don't know why I keep getting taken over with the urge to listen to only one song for an entire day, but it keeps happening, so I just go with it.

I love singing, I've always sung things-whether it's bursting into song because someone said a phrase that's also a song lyric or just generally singing along to my music late at night so my parents come and tell me off because they can hear me downstairs. It's probably annoying as hell if you're one of my friends and I interrupt our conversation with random music, but I love it. It always makes me sad when I have a cold because I can't sing all the time. I'm not really a very musical person-I don't have (as my bass tutor put it) an internal metronome and I couldn't tell you what a note was if someone played it to me if I tried. But song lyrics stay with me forever-once I've learned them, whether it was for a show or just by listening to them on repeat hundreds of times, I know them for good. I might not get the tune spot on but I will know the words!

Source: Open Clip Art Library
I am someone who connects to songs completely-there's so many songs that speak to me, and have done throughout my life. Whatever the situation, whether I'm feeling happy or sad, there's a song lyric that reflects this. Songs that make me cry, songs that make me happy, songs that just make me go “YES. This person understands.” I love them all! In a way I collect them-I remember | all the songs that have held significance to me over the years, even if they don't any more. There's songs that will always remind me of people and will invoke memories in me, both happy and sad. There's songs that I can't listen to any more without giggling because me and a friend have either turned them into a personal joke, or misheard the lyrics, or just had a good time whilst they was playing. Similarly, there's songs which I actively avoid listening to because I know they'll just make me feel upset. I guess I have a kind of Pavlovian response to songs-they will always make me feel the same emotions that I have subconsciously attached to them as when I first discovered them. I wouldn't change it though, wouldn't go back and have those lyrics mean nothing to me again, because they're all significant for so many reasons, so many events in my life. My songs are important to me, and always will have a hold over me, and I wouldn't be without that for anything.

-Jenni-

*My music taste is nothing if not eclectic!

| denotes where my 5 minute alarm went off

For more details about Five Minute Fridays or to read more entries/take part yourself, visit http://lisajobaker.com/five-minute-friday/

To read more of my 5MF pieces, click here.

Now you can follow this blog on Facebook, if you like that sort of thing.

3 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Lisa-Jo's! Glad it's not just me that music has such a hold on. Glad you posted today!

    -Jessica @Walkagape

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you were honest about your five minutes! I have a friend that is a speech therapist. She tells me some of her elderly patients that can no longer talk can still sing.

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to sing... I am always singing! In fact, I MIGHT drive my co-workers crazy because I sing off and on for the entire 8 hours! HA! But I love it!! Like you though, I couldn't tell you what note is what. I sang in choirs & performed in voice competitions, but am clueless on music theory! But songs keep me going... I love music :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!