Tuesday 19 June 2012

Music, Makes the People, Come Together, Yeah

Or actually, in most cases, it doesn't. 
I came to the conclusion a long time ago (after many many arguments with my friend on the subject) that it's simply impossible for someone to have a bad taste in music. Yes, you can entirely disagree with them on the idea of what is good and what is utter tripe, but the whole thing is so subjective that you cannot tell them it's bad in the same way you can when someone has picked out a truly awful pair of curtains that don't match their room in any way. I personally have to confess I am a bit of a music snob, in that I don't really like most stuff that comes out nowadays. For every truly brilliant singer/song writer (like Adele) there's about 100 unoriginal tryhards sampling stuff or just repeating the same illiterate noises again and again (Ella Ella Ella Ey Ey Ey, for example) and to me it's just unbearable noise. But I'm not even going to try and start to convince you that I'm right and you're wrong, because people like what they like. And I have a weird taste in music, I will readily admit that. Most of the music on my laptop is from at least 20 years ago, and I bet most people haven't heard of a lot of it. Favourite band: Queen. Always will be. But along the years I have picked up/discovered a rather odd mix of genres and styles and I want to share the musical love and perhaps introduce people to some awesome tunes they've never heard before. I'm not saying you have to like them, I'm not even saying you have to listen to them. You just can't tell me that I have bad taste. Who knows, maybe you'll even enjoy them too?

Chairmen of the Board
I have to confess I love an awesome bass beat, and these guys are so funky that you can't help but sing/dance/toe tap along to their songs. I inherited the Chairmen off an ex-boyfriend, and I have kept them because the songs make me smile.
Everything's Tuesday-Chairmen of the Board

I was introduced to these guys when the fab Tim Minchin tweeted about them, and as far as I am concerned they're just brilliant. In this Globalsoft world* of computer generated music and regurgitated lyrics it's really really awesome to find something different that stands out a mile. And boy do these guys stand out! I've never heard anything like it, but I LOVE IT.
Brand New Me-Bitter Ruin

I'm pretty sure almost everyone everywhere has heard the song 'Valerie' done by Marc Ronson + Amy Winehouse. But not many of them seem to know that before that it was originally done by a band called The Zutons. (And I much prefer the original if I am honest!) The Zutons were the first band that I really discovered for myself, I heard a song and bought their first album and it was brilliant. Their songs are really uplifting and jazzy (and sometimes really funny), and they are a modern band with a saxophonist in, and she's a girl. I can't see what's not to like!
Valerie-The Zutons
(Had never watched this video before, no idea why it's set in a prison but I giggled my way through it)

My Dad discovered this lovely lady for me, on Radio 4 one day. He bought the album and insisted I listened to it, and I am glad I did. Again, I love her because she's different, she's got a very 1940s feel to her music which I think is just fabbity fab and I really like her voice too!

That Man-Caro Emerald

So there's just a small selection of my weird music for you. Hope you enjoyed at least one of them!
How about you, what are your favourite bands/singers that no-one will have heard of? Send me a youtube link, I'll give them a listen. You never know, I might add them to my collection too!

-Jenni-


*If you get this reference you're a tiny bit awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, say hello!