Wednesday 16 November 2011

In Which Stratford Steals My Heart.

As some of you may know I work for Give It A Go, at my University's student union. This means I get to do cool stuff and get paid for it essentially. Last Saturday was my first proper proper day trip, to Stratford-upon-Avon. I wasn't originally looking forward to it, because I had no-one to go with, and so was planning to spend the day holed up in a coffee shop learning my lines for my upcoming shows*. However, when I got to Stratford I decided that I might as well see some of the sights before I did so, and I'm glad that I did.
First thing I found was an antiques shop that was selling all sorts of nick nacks and bits, and spent a good half an hour perusing their shelves. 
I eventually treated myself to some beautiful early 20th century leather bound books, which smell amazing, and a little pottery bottle just because it was particularly pretty.
I sort of love them a bit.
After dragging myself out of there (eventually), I headed for lunch at a pub that had originally attracted me because of its cheap prices** but actually had really good food (beautifully cooked fish and chips, yum yum) and very friendly staff. It was a really enjoyable meal for me, just because I felt very looked after and the food was GOOD. Can't want for much more.
With my stomach full and my spirits light I made my way back up Henley Street to The Museum of Wizardology which is just like Harry Potter world in Orlando. Only without the rides, and confined to the top floors of an old Tudor house. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and I walked around giggling the whole time. Oh and just so you know...
I'm officially a Wizard now. So you'd better just watch out.
My next destination was Shakespeare's grave, located in the Holy Trinity Church, some 20 minutes dawdle away. It was a very pretty walk though, lined with black and white Tudor houses and trees and generally lots of beautiful buildings. The church itself is also pretty spectacular, and I say that as someone who doesn't really like churches!*** Inside and out, it's a lovely place to cast your eye over.
Unnecessarily Arty-Farty photo, I know. But you get the gist.
I walked back towards the centre of town along the riverside, which was very peaceful and relaxing. The path takes you past two of the town's theatres (and who doesn't love a good theatre?) and ends up at the Swan Statue, where I found a man playing the violin to the afternoon gatherings. I sat here for a while and read my book, just because it was really relaxing. When it got a bit chilly to sit outside,  I found a little cafe in a Tudor building and treated myself to a hot chocolate with marshmallows, because sometimes it just has to be done.

Despite my earlier misgivings, I actually had a fantastic day out. It was nice to just be able to decide what I wanted to do and do it, without having to consult or convince anyone else, and it was a good thing to spend some quality time with myself-something I don't do much of any more. Most of all though, I fell a little bit in love with Stratford itself. It is so calm and serene and didn't feel like a big town at all. It's also beautiful-everywhere you go is some new sight to enjoy and appreciate. I made a resolution to myself-one day I am going to live there in a higgledy piggledy little Tudor cottage full of old nick nacks from that antique shop. I might even go as far as saying it's my favourite ever place. More even than Sheffield, and that's saying something. I can't wait to go back again, who wants to come?

So, from me, and from Shakespeare, Goodbye for now.
And what a goodbye sight this is.






*Have a quick plug-come and see our Xmas Panto! It's all for charity and it's fabulously funny!
**What I didn't realise at the time was that they were only Monday-Friday cheap prices, and so it cost me a little more than I thought it would. Ah well.
***I have an inability to speak in the required hushed tones, and generally feel a bit awkward in them. I have never understood that anyway-why can't churches be loud places?

1 comment:

  1. I am more jealous than I can explain. S'all.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!