Thursday 6 October 2011

Hello Sunshine...

I have, quite ironically, had this song stuck in my head today. I say quite ironically, because if you have ever spent any time in the mornings with me you will know I am a very grumpy person indeed. My housemate said "Hello Sunshine" to me at about 8.45 the other day and I actually growled at her. I am, I think it's fair to say, unequivocally not a morning person.

Another housemate sent me a picture the other day of "How to feel more alive in the mornings" or something similar. It was filled with nauseating advice such as "get out of bed and do 10 star jumps-the blood flowing around your body will really wake you up". It was clearly written by someone who already is a morning person-because I can't think of anything I would like to do less when I have just got out of bed. Apart from another one of their suggestions-"Have a cold shower, if you can bear it."-I can't, and neither can any sensible bear-like lumbering sleepy mass. My preferred way to wake up and be fairly able to tolerate the day is when the hour is at least in double figures.
However, this morning something fairly miraculous happened. After my 9am POINTLESS tutorial, which lasted for all of 10 minutes, I was cross, and grumpy, and veryvery tired. At which point me and a course-mate decided we were going to ride the newly re-opened Paternoster lift in the Arts Tower. Why yes, it is the tallest one in the UK. I have wanted to go on it since my first open day way back in 2007, but it has sadly been closed since I started at Uni. Not today though. Today we rode it all the way to the top, and got out to see if we could find a good view, which we did-in the toilets of all places. Thankfully, there weren't too many people around on the 18th floor at quarter past 9 in the morning, so we spent a good while just drinking in the sights across Sheffield. And oh what a view!
My city is, quite frankly, gorgeous.
The sun was streaming through the clouds, and we could see for miles. B-E-A-Utiful. And all of a sudden, I didn't feel tired or grumpy any more. It was just so lovely being up there looking out over the city which was still barely awake itself. If it wasn't so weird just hanging out in the girl's toilets, I would spend much more time there, just waking up.

So. There is my advice to you grumpy morning faces. Find something beautiful that takes your breath away, and you shed the grumpiness like an uncomfortable jumper.
On the other end of the spectrum, I am going to bed.
G'dnight x

3 comments:

  1. I am said person. And said link is http://thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com/blog/feel-awake-mornings-without-caffeine-0127456/

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Mornings without caffeine do not exist, as far as I am concerned. Ever.

    2) "Not a morning person" does not begin to cover you ;)

    3) THE PATERNOSTER IS OPEN?! WOOOO :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. ACT-There is a slight difference between your tea and my heart-attack-in-a-can Relentless though, I always feel guilty drinking them!
    I am pretty sure I am a different species in the morning.
    YESYES it is. It's mighty fun =)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, say hello!